Submit self-published books in the following categories, up to 200,000 words in length:
- Mainstream/Literary Fiction
- Genre Fiction
- Creative Nonfiction & Memoir
- Children's Picture Book
- Graphic Narrative (novels, memoirs, story collections, etc.)
- One grand prize winner will receive $3,000, a marketing analysis and one-hour phone consultation with Carolyn Howard-Johnson, a $300 credit at BookBaby, and 3 free ads in the Winning Writers newsletter (a $450 value)
- The top winner in each category will receive $1,000, a marketing analysis and one-hour phone consultation with Carolyn Howard-Johnson, a $300 credit at BookBaby, and one free ad in the Winning Writers newsletter (a $150 value)
- One honorable mention in each category will receive $250
- We will publish online excerpts from all entries that win a prize, along with critiques from the judges
Judges: Jendi Reiter and Ellen LaFleche, assisted by Jim DuBois and Annie Keithline.
All contestants will receive a copy of The Great First Impression Book Proposal by Carolyn Howard-Johnson (PDF), and free guides to successful publishing from BookBaby.
Any year of publication is acceptable. You may submit a collection of short stories or essays as a single entry. You may submit multiple books (one at a time). For multi-author books, please email Winning Writers to determine eligibility. All themes are welcome except works portraying pedophilia, bestiality, necrophilia, and/or snuff as acceptable sexual practices.
For the purpose of this contest, a self-published book is one where the decision to publish the book was the author's alone, the transaction involved the author paying any upfront costs for services, and the book is currently available for viewing and/or purchase. This includes books created through e-publishers (e.g. BookBaby, Smashwords, CreateSpace), book printers, and vanity presses. If you published your book with a hybrid publisher, it may still qualify for the North Street Book Prize. The key criteria are that the author controls the decision whether to publish and also shoulders most of the costs of publication. Hybrid authors, please email Winning Writers to confirm eligibility.